Our Youth services program entails educational specialists for all youth, Empowerment Coaches, a Housing Specialist, and a Career and Internship Specialist. The program is open to all current foster care youth and discharged youth up to the age of 26. Our goal is to ensure that every child and young adult in our care has a chance at success.
How does the program work?
All school aged youth in our Foster Care program are paired with an educational specialist, and once in high school young adults are also paired with an empowerment coach through age 26 who provides tools that can be used to help them succeed. The empowerment coach teaches young adults how to self-advocate while also providing emotional, social, and life skills support.
Empowering Foster Youth: Comprehensive Support for Educational and Personal Development
We connect youth in foster care with tools and resources that enable them to:
- Promote educational success by tracking grades and attendance.
- Support the family through the Individualized Education Program process (IEP) assisting with the referral and implementation of services.
- Provide ongoing support with resources, such as tutoring and extracurricular activities.
- Match students to appropriate learning environments.
- Graduate from high school and excel in post-secondary settings.
- Develop the skills they need to succeed through lasting, trusting relationships and a network of positive adult and peer support.
- Build professional development skills.
- Establish positive educational, career, and housing goals.
- Obtain career development experiences; and,
- Obtain and maintain affordable housing and gain independent living skills.
How else does Seamen’s Society enrich the youths’ lives?
- Monthly youth-led peer groups provide a safe space for youth to share their voices and discuss real world issues. Empowerment Coaches facilitate these groups and teach leadership skills to the participants.
- Youth Advisory Board, peer led meetings to make a difference for youth in care by giving them the platform and voice to help create positive changes in the foster care system. Youth interested in participating should contact Jessica Ghabour.
- Trips, for our youth to attend exhilarating and fun experiences! Past trips have included Dave & Busters, bowling, museums, and more.
- Over 100 of our Foster Care youth received individualized social and emotional support through our Fair Future’s Empowerment Coaches.